Wednesday, July 28, 2010

FFW Cheap is the New Chic: Design Contest Final at Nywood





THE 3 DESIGNERS WITH THEIR BEST DESIGNED OUTFIT



THE 3 JUDGES



THE CROWD



Cheap is the New Chic is a contest where the three designers battled against one another in the finals of the design contest. Three judges was to vote the best collecting for recycled clothing that the contestants got from Goodwill. They were to vote on who had the best designs overall and who made the best use of old/used clothing also.
The first contestant Erin Summer had a nice 70's retro edge to her designs. I liked it a little bit, but it wasn't enough to wow me. The second contestant Mady Bone is from Vancouver. She had some really pretty, girly, elegant designs which I really liked and I actually thought that she was going to win. However, when I saw the third contestant Devlyn Van Loon's collection I changed my mind, but it was a close one. What really made her a big winner is that she wasn't afraid to use a bunch of colours especially the bright ones. More importantly she really made use with what she got from Goodwill, whereas Mady Bone had used some old curtains/tablecloths that she got from Goodwill. I think that was a minus because she had more room/fabric to work with from curtains/drapes & tablecloths. Van Loon had to make sure that the was enough fabric from the old pieces to turn them into the new pieces and not waste anything. She made drastic changes from what they were and what she turned them into.
At the end Devlyn Wan Loon won according to the judges and the audience's vote. She had my vote too. Surprisingly, she is a newby to designing. That was her very first collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment